And I was finally there.... to goggle at its extraordinary details.
Saint Basil's Cathedral was an orthodox church which has been turned into a museum. It is the first monument to be built on Red Square having been completed in 1560. Legend has it that the architects, Barma and Postnik were blinded by Ivan The Terrible (the Tsar who commissioned its building) because he did not want them to built another building as glorious as this. Ultimately that was just a fable.
There are actually 8 chapels built around a 9th one in the centre and all were built on the same foundation. The original building was white with golden onion domes. I don't think it would be as mesmerizing had it remained that way. It was given a makeover (not sure since when) and the result is super stunning. I walked around the building to my heart's content and captured the details in the photographs below.
This dome looks like ice cream? confectionery? Depends on what you are pining for.
Here's a similar one but green in color
This one looks like fish scales?
And this one looks like reptile skin?
The psychedelic colours can blow your mind away.
And then...there are cone roofs with intricate designs.
Here's another one.
The details on the pillars,walls and towers are really ornate.
St Basil's Cathedral looks more like a fairytale palace than a church. Gazing at it can momentarily bring you into fantasyland.
Went under some parts of the building.
Glad this collection of images is finally stored in my cyberspace.
Click To See Other Related Posts:
1. A Trip To Russia - Introductory Post
2. Russia: A Day Out At Sergiyev Posad
3. My Russian Dining Experience
4. Russian Souvenirs
5. Cathedral Of Christ The Saviour
6. Moscow Hard Rock Cafe And Old Arbat Street
7. Russia: Moscow Metro
8. Moscow Kremlin
9. Sparrow Hill And Victory Park
10. Museum Of Cosmonautics And Ostankino Tower
11. Red Square (Krasnaya Ploshchard)
12. Saint Basil's Cathedral
13. GUM Department Store
14. Milan Hotel Review
15. What I Like About Moscow
16. From Moscow To St Petersburg On Sapsan High Speed Train
17. Winter Palace/ State Hermitage Museum
18. St Isaac's Cathedral And Some Nearby Attractions
19. Seeing St Petersburg From Its Rivers
20. St Petersburg Most Gorgeous Building
21.St Petersburg's Peter And Paul Fortress
22.A Traditional Village , A Modern City
23. A Visit To 2 Summer Palaces
24. Smolninskaya Hotel