Sparrow Hill is a popular destination on a Moscow sightseeing tour. We were already on Sparrow Hill even though it didn't feel like we were on a hill. I was expecting our bus to maneuver through roads with steep gradients and a few cliffs but it was just a normal drive, very much like driving through the city to get there.
Sparrow Hill is actually a park about 700 feet above the river level. It is located on the right bank of Moskva River. Since it is one of the highest points in Moscow it makes a good viewpoint and tourists are brought here to see the panorama of Moscow city skyline. And here's what we saw from the observation platform.
It is easy to spot Luzhniki Stadium where the opening and closing ceronomy of 1980 Summer Olympic was held.
A pit stop was made for us to view Moscow State University, which is the most prominent landmark on Sparrow Hill. This university was founded in 1755.
We were supposed to visit Tsaritsino Park but ended in Victory Park instead. Tsaritsino Park is more beautiful but our schedule was too packed and since a lot of time was wasted going through traffic jams we had to settle for the less charming park.
Victory Park was constructed in honour of Russia's victory in the Great Patriotic War (WWII) over Nazi Germany. It is located on Poklonnaya Hill which is one of Moscow's highest point.
This park features war monuments, obelisks and fountains.
There is a museum in the park but we had to miss that as our schedule was rather packed.
Triumphal Arc of Moscow stands in the park vicinity.
Click To See Other Related Posts:
1. A Trip To Russia - Introductory Post
2. Russia: A Day Out At Sergiyev Posad
3. My Russian Dining Experience
4. Russian Souvenirs
5. Cathedral Of Christ The Saviour
6. Moscow Hard Rock Cafe And Old Arbat Street
7. Russia: Moscow Metro
8. Moscow Kremlin
9. Sparrow Hill And Victory Park
10. Museum Of Cosmonautics And Ostankino Tower
11. Red Square (Krasnaya Ploshchard)
12. Saint Basil's Cathedral
13. GUM Department Store
14. Milan Hotel Review
15. What I Like About Moscow
16. From Moscow To St Petersburg On Sapsan High Speed Train
17. Winter Palace/ State Hermitage Museum
18. St Isaac's Cathedral And Some Nearby Attractions
19. Seeing St Petersburg From Its Rivers
20. St Petersburg Most Gorgeous Building
21.St Petersburg's Peter And Paul Fortress
22.A Traditional Village , A Modern City
23. A Visit To 2 Summer Palaces
24. Smolninskaya Hotel